Monday 21 January 2013

The Pencil Skirt


A true classic in women's fashion. Narrow, fitted skirts have a long established history in western fashion, and for good reason. The slim-fitting design highlights the natural curve of the hips with a hem falling to, or just below, the knee for a modest look.

I find my skirts mostly in tucked away charity stores or as gifts from my mother. Mostly in stores, I’ve been seeing a lot of cheap, slim-fitting skirts made of jersey cotton etc. I don’t like them. I like crepe, skirts that look clean and are lined. Skirts that tuck in at the waist, and don’t feature elastic, are best in my opinion. I like neutral tone and simply printed skirts. They are my favourite skirts.

1940’s Style

Christian Dior introduced the classic modern pencil skirt. He coined the term “H-line” after he used “A-line” to describe pieces in his Corolle collection. It gained popularity among both working and unemployed women. The pencil skirt hem line fell just below the knee and was worn with high heels and sheer stockings or tights.


Pencil Skirt – Temperly London / Jacket – Yves Saint Laurent / Blouse – Pheonix / Shoes - Vintage / Bag – Lulu Guinness /Hat - Vintage / Gloves – Aspinal of London / Brooch - Anthropologie

This look is very office wear inspired. The skirt and jacket look almost like a matching pair, teamed with a white blouse and black handbag. The 1940’s saucer hat and black suede heels make this outfit ‘1940’s themed’, and the gloves and brooch also lend a vintage feel. Together this ensemble is undeniably 40’s.

1950’s Style

During this time, women wore back-seamed hosiery under their pencil skirts, creating an iconic vintage look. Kitten heels, stilettos and peep-toe heels were shoes mostly worn then. Blouses and cardigan were tights, and the whole look gave off a ‘sexy’ vibe.


Pencil Skirt – Unknown brand / Cardigan – Scotch Soda / Blouse – Asda / Shoes – Rusty Zipper / Necklace – Astley Clarke / Pantyhose – Debenhams

Red is the colour of choice! The red pencil skirt and red cardigan make this feel very fifties. Teamed with a short sleeved white blouse and kitten heels, you’re playing the part of a stylish lady of the 1950’s. I've accessorized with a simple black clutch, my go-to pearl necklace and love back seamed hosiery.          

1960’s Style

Jackie Kennedy kept the pencil skirt going during the 1960’s. With the addition of bright colour and large buttons, the conservative classic was given a bright big face lift. It was common to see pencil skirts worn with flats and loafers during the 1960’s for a casual look.


Suit – Vintage / Hat – Vintage / Bag – Mimco / Shoes – Jildor / Necklace – Blue Nile

This would be a fun outfit to wear to a party. Unless you collect vintage items, you probably won’t have anything like it in your wardrobe. I've used a bright pink suit which is reminiscent of Jackie Kennedy’s suit, you can see in my previous post. The colour scheme is white and pink, as the pink is so bright I needed to give some air to it. 

I hope you enjoyed my post and can see why I love pencil skirts. They’re just so versatile across eras and occasions. I've been posting a little irregularly lately, however it should even out soon once I'm settled in to my new home. Have a nice day.

Vintage Fashion, Modern Approach.
Love Claire, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every blogger, every reader and all feedback.
I will happily answer all questions that you many have.
Have a nice day!