Monday 7 January 2013

Christian Dior – The New Look


A year after the fashion house of Dior was founded; Christian released his first collection Corolle. Dubbed ‘New Look’ by then editor-and-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, Dior’s designs were controversial. Lovers of fashion and important figures in the industry were divided due many being appalled at the extravagant amount of fabric used, in comparison to what people were used to buying with their clothing stamps.


Dior used slim fitting bustier style bodices paired with full, A-line or bell shaped skirts that were hemmed at mid-calf. When wearing these garments correctly, one would need to purchase a petticoat. Optionally, a waist cincher, corselet or other waist binding undergarment would be worn.


To achieve this look, I've created 3 outfits to wear to various occasions. These dresses and skirts probably won’t be something that you’ll find in your wardrobe. I’ll provide some links on places you could buy these skirts and dresses as they are essential to achieving the look.

Day Wear
For a day wear look, you have the option not only to wear a simple dress, but also to wear a nice blouse and the skirt.


Originally this was set as an office wear outfit, but after looking closer, I've decided it’s more appropriate for everyday wear, despite the fact I've used a dress. The grey woolen dress is teamed with a cute beige trench coat. I've accessorized with a pearl necklace, gold-chain watch and a quilted beige handbag. Lastly some plain black pumps, this outfit would be great for going to the shops, or grabbing a coffee with friends.

Office Wear
In the office, a lighter petticoat would be more practical and work-friendly. This opens up doors to wearing a coat over it, as with a full skirt one should tuck in their top (if it isn't already cropped).


As I said before, this was originally mean to be the day wear ensemble. This means it’s a little dressy for the office, but I’m okay if you’re okay. I've combined a cropped beige blazer with a brown pleated skirt and sleeveless ivory blouse. Worn with a hat and open-toed, beige heels, you could dress this down by switching the heels to flats or nixing the hat (personally, I like the hat for the office look). I've accessorized with a quilted beige handbag (wow, again! Ha-ha),a gold pearl bangle and pearl earrings. I’m quite happy with this ensemble, it’s not often you see an office outfit with a full skirt!

Evening Wear
A dress is mostly appropriate for evening wear. Something made of a luxurious material and featuring short sleeves would do the trick.


I thought about using a silk dress, I did. I even found one that was pretty nice. However, when I came across this chiffon gem, I was sold. It’s just a marvelous evening dress. I paired it with some pale pink kitten heels and a lace cape. The dress steals the show, I’d even go without the cape if it isn't too chilly, which is why I've accessorized simply with pearl earrings, white gloves and a satin clutch. I think in this outfit, you’d want more volume in the petticoat than those previous.

Where to buy full skirts and dresses
-          Ebay – You have to be weary about quality for many stores, however you can find some great vintage pieces for cheap prices.
-          Modcloth – A bit more pricier than you’ll find on Ebay, but probably safer on quality
-          Bettie PageClothing – All new, and more expensive than the other stores. Many of these dresses look amazing.
-          If you want to dip into the pond of alternative fashion, my first and second outfit’s major pieces are from a Lolita fashion store in Japan called Mary Magdalene. Their prices are about double of Bettie Page Clothing, but the quality is perfection.
WARNING: Do not, under any circumstance, buy from the company Milanoo. I have seen way too many horror stories come from this web store. While the prices may look cheap, you’ll end up with a bunch of satin rags stitched together flimsily and called a dress. Seriously, save yourself tears.

Whew! It was great talking about an item and collection that I love so much. I hope you enjoyed reading it, like I enjoyed writing it. My next post is titled ‘Giulietta's Pre-Fall 2013 collection’. Do you like vintage Dior? Or do you prefer the slimmer silhouettes of the 40’s? Thoughts?

Vintage Fashion, Modern Approach.
Love Claire, xo.

2 comments:

  1. Very classy and elegant styles :) Thank you for sharing it! xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment :)
      You have a lovely blog

      Delete

I appreciate every blogger, every reader and all feedback.
I will happily answer all questions that you many have.
Have a nice day!