Saturday 5 January 2013

Review - 1950’s Audrey Hepburn Style Dress


For Christmas, I received a lot of lovely gifts, including an Audrey Hepburn inspired dress from an Ebay web shop ‘hourglass_dresses’. Based in the United Kingdom, Hourglass Dresses stock a lot of inexpensive retro designs, particularly reminiscent of the fifties! As it isn't easy to come across well-made, close-to-accurate retro designs for cheap, I figured that I would review this gem!

I bought the ‘Classy Vintage 1950's Style Swing Dress from Lindy Bop


Cost
$46.99 (+$7.50 shipping to Australia). This is an extremely inexpensive cost for what a dress similar would usually cost, even online.

Fabric
In the description, the fabric is described as lightweight, stretch cotton. I specifically didn't order from an Ebay store that uses satin or any shiny material – in fear of it being very cheap. To my delight, to cotton used does not stretch. Unfortunately, the dress is not lined; however I saw this coming due to the price.

Size
I purchased a size XS, with the assistance of their helpful size chart! The Ebay web store displays measurements in the form of a UK size, and then bust & waist measurements in inches. As it is a flared skirt, the hips are free-size. The dress fit my measurements perfectly. It a little longer than I expected, but true to the measurements.

Notes
It arrived after a very short waiting time. The dress was very creased on arrival, as it was folded up (flimsily) and wrapped in a bag. For this purchase I give 4 stars out of 5. I would buy again from this store, gladly.


NB. It really does need a petticoat. I've packed mine away for moving – but when I unpack in the next few weeks hopefully you’ll be able to see it in all of its glory.

Overall, I’m really happy with what I received for the price of it! You can purchase one just like this (or in a bunch of other colours) from this store. They offer a wide variety of sizes also, which is fantastic.

I had fun reviewing this item; hopefully I’ll do some more reviews in the future! My next post covers ‘Christian Dior - The New Look’ which I feel ties in well after a post with this dress. Did you enjoy my review? I welcome all feedback and comments from readers.
Love Claire, xo.

2 comments:

  1. lovely dres and I adore Audrey, her style'll always be edgy!
    may be we can follow each other/let me know and I'll return the favor!

    http://www.helendushko.com/

    Helen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,
      Thank you for the comment.
      I've left one on your most recent post.
      Have a nice day.

      Delete

I appreciate every blogger, every reader and all feedback.
I will happily answer all questions that you many have.
Have a nice day!