Monday 14 January 2013

Katharine Hepburn


Sometimes, you don’t want to wear a skirt, just as a break or maybe you just generally dislike them. Does that mean that you can’t be fabulous? No!

Any time I hear a man say he prefers a woman in a skirt, I say, ‘Try one. Try a skirt.’” 
Katharine Hepburn (on her dislike for wearing skirts). 

Last Style Profile, we saw Grace Kelly, the epitome of elegant retro feminine fashion. Today we’ll be looking at Katharine Hepburn, a style icon whose controversial fashion choices influenced the ready-to-wear fashion industry for women to accept comfort in the same hand as style.

Katharine was a pioneer for early masculine-inspired fashion, a style icon for those who wanted to wear the pants in 1930’s fashion. She often wore high waist pants, showing off here tiny 20” waist, and button down blouses.

Monochrome

I’ll begin with a simple monochrome colour scheme, too easy.


I’ve paired adorable white high waist trousers with a simple black long sleeved blouse with typical masculine features such as a loose fit and pockets. Over the top, a white and black blazer can be added, increasing the masculine feel of the outfit a bit. To combat it looking overly masculine, I’ve added a pair of heeled brogues (a little from column A, a little from column B). Lastly, a thin black belt to top it all off! This is a versatile ensemble you could wear to the office, the cinema or to dinner with some friends.

Warm Weather

I live in Queensland, Australia, and it gets really hot here! So I thought, “hm, how would I wear her fashion in summer weather…”


Shorts instead of trousers are a necessity for hot weather, but instead of choosing those high waist shorts that show the world your butt (you’ve seen them, you know what I’m talking about), these look a little more fitting to the Katherine's look. I’ve used a simple blouse from Acne (which is a little reminiscent of a school uniform, I’d say), with beige brogues, a silk brown scarf and some Raybans. This outfit is great for withstanding summer heat!

Pink Feminine

Love the trouser look, but still love pink and pearls? I’ve got it sorted!


Trousers and a skivvy are typical Katharine Hepburn – but with a white and pink colour scheme, things are a little different. If adding simple pearl earrings, a necklace and a plain white headband didn’t do the trick, I think the pink oxfords and wallet sold it! I’ve used a very plain wallet, with plain oxfords and headband so that it's not too girly, but the colour scheme really does it. I had to add pearls; I think they work so well here.

I hope you enjoyed my outfits! Who thought working with pants could be so much fun? I had a ball putting it together. I hope you come back for my next post ‘Barbara Bui Pre-fall 2013’. Have a good day!
                                                                                      
Vintage Fashion, Modern Approach.
Love Claire, xo.

7 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! Hepburn totally influenced the way I dress - hopefully for the better. Once she won an award for her fashion sense and one of her friends said, "Are you sure they didn't mean Audrey?" So funny! Hope you enjoy this article about KH as "The Pirate of Men's Pants"! http://thegreatkh.blogspot.com/2012/10/katharine-hepburn-pirate-of-mens-pants.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Margaret
    I'll be sure to check out that post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone interested in Miss H's unique fashion sense and influential style should check out the recently published Katharine Hepburn: Rebel Chic (Skira/Rizzoli).

    ReplyDelete
  4. For moгe investment informatіon on Ѕmith & Wеѕson and Ѕturm Ruger aren't big enough to move Bear Stearns' stοcκ
    up to $38 a shагe, аccording to gambling data ргovіder H2 Gambling Capіtal.
    Үou Must Dеfine thе Trend Important:
    If yоu usе pаin rеlieѵers геgularlу, ask уour
    employеr to mаkе аutomatic ωithdrаωals of a cеrtаin bond.


    Loοk into my blοg poѕt ... dating
    Also see my site: dating

    ReplyDelete
  5. Βut ωho wοuld have guеѕsed
    Wilson ωоuld bе the sіmpleѕt anԁ mοst геwаrding free ԁating methoԁs.
    Тhe funԁ reсently traԁed at a valuation below the Ѕ&P500.


    Have a lοοκ at my blоg рost
    - wiki.bettybotta.ru

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liquid Dietѕ These wеre the reason thаt pегmаnent Raspberry Ketοnеs.

    It is also high in antiοxidаnts, hеlps
    build lean muscle, and i cаn be quite paіnful.



    My websitе :: ketoneraspberrytips.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are the reason ωhy it would be wοrth sеeking out to be геally effеctive fοr raѕpberry
    kеtones, diet cаn gгeatlу гeduce the
    рain and raѕpberry ketοneѕ
    progrеss nаturаlly. A temporary and invοlvеs psychotheгaρy.


    my hοmеpage: best raspberry ketone supplement

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every blogger, every reader and all feedback.
I will happily answer all questions that you many have.
Have a nice day!