Sunday 16 December 2012

First Lady of Fashion - Jacqueline Kennedy


My interest in U.S. politics in modern history? Well it pretty much begins with Jackie Kennedy’s style, and ends with Jackie Kennedy’s style (as I live in Australia, and we aren't taught American history). She’s everything I love about fashion of the 1960’s, a timeless fashion icon whose style I’d like to emulate. Today I’ll be looking at how to achieve this glamorous, graceful style.

Before delving into my typical ‘3-outfit interpretation’ formula I’d like to say a few words on Jackie’s style influences. She seemed to adore bright colours, which was common during the sixties, so that means bright pinks, reds, yellows, blues, but also ivory. After some digging, I've found that her style icon was the same as mine (twins!), Audrey Hepburn. Now we know this, let’s get into the outfit categories!

So firstly, I want to look at Jackie’s leisure wear. When she wasn't in the public eye, attending events and such, she would lounge in high waist trousers with either a sweater or a nice blouse. Jackie would accessorize with some large sunglasses or simple pearls, very classy.





I went with a redxwhite colour scheme here, incorporating her love of bright colours. The sling-back (-like) pumps have a retro feel and with the top, gives the outfit a great pop of colour. Both the top and cardigans have peplums, so that matches well. I’m very happy with this ensemble, especially with the glasses.

Jackie spent quite some time in the office, and the White House, so smart office wear was essential.
Houndstooth Women’s Suit (1959)

She was a fan of two-piece suits (like me!) that consisted of jackets (a la Chanel) and a-line skirts. She normally wore these ensembles with white gloves, a pillbox hat and/or pearls and brooches. Unlike Audrey, she wore pumps, a lot.


As I've already recreated an outfit in the past with the classic two piece suit, I wanted to mix this up a bit (okay, a lot). It’s a modern looking outfit, with an eye-catching a-line skirt and white top, with a gold chain to match. All of the pieces are either a warm or very subtle gold. The modern blazer adds a contemporary edge to the ‘women’s suit’ concept.

Often attending formal functions, there is a lot of photo evidence of Jackie in darling evening wear.
Silk Gazar Evening Dress (1963)

She preferred sleeveless dresses, that were not full but sheath dresses. She was no stranger to off-the-shoulder or backless gowns, but always kept it very tasteful. As consistent with her office wear, she accessorized with white gloves here, too.


I think I like this outfit the best out of this series. Again, instead of fancy ball-wear, I've comprised this look to be suited for a more casual occasion, perhaps a garden party or shopping. I chose a pastel pink, as many of Jackie’s evening gowns were light in colour. The draping on this dress would flatter various body types. I love the scalloped gloves here; I wish to own a pair.

Well that was something a little different! I do enjoy a lot of Jackie Kennedy’s looks. The next post is the one you've been waiting for, ‘Channeling Your Inner (Audrey) Hepburn – Breakfast at Tiffany’s’! I hope you’re as excited to read it as I am to post it. Only a few days now!
Love Claire, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every blogger, every reader and all feedback.
I will happily answer all questions that you many have.
Have a nice day!