Wednesday 19 December 2012

Channeling Your Inner Audrey Hepburn – Breakfast at Tiffany’s


We made it! The last installment of the ‘Channeling Your Inner Audrey Hepburn’ series is met with a bitter sweet feeling, but fear not, as I will continue to talk about her on this blog (I mean, who could forget her). For those of you who aren't familiar with this story (probably no one ever), Breakfast at Tiffany’s is about how a struggling writer moves next to sophisticated young socialite, Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn). As their relationship grows stronger we see a lot of depth to Holly, it’s a great love story and I recommend it to the moon and back! This was another film with just way too many great outfits, but I had to choose 3, so here they are!

The Little Black Dress

When Holly goes to Sing Sing, she wears this classic black ensemble. I chose this over the outfit she wears opening scene as I feel this is more of a real life, practical representation of how people perceive the original (as they are quite similar).


Holly wears a knee-length black shift dress with black pumps, a black purse, and accessorizes with a great black hat and statement earrings. I much prefer this ensemble as the opening scene features a full-length dress and tiara, and hey while that’s fabulous, it’s not a practical or modern look.


So I've only drifted a bit from this outfit, to make it a bit more modern and casual (it was already pretty modern, but still). I teamed a shorter LBD (with a cut that you would find in many stores right now) with a small black leather purse and patent black Louboutin pumps for Holly's core look. To jazz it up a bit, I've accessorized her with a light gold head wrap (instead of the hat+scarf combo) and pantyhose with a light gold shimmer. I had to include something from Tiffany’s, because Holly is “just crazy about Tiffany’s!”, which were the 'Paloma's Venezia Luce Drop Earrings'. I'd really like to wear this ensemble out of night time, or with flats to see friends during the day.


Dull Weather, Bright Coat

In town with Paul, Holly wears a coat based ensemble for cold weather.


Her coat is a bright orange to combat the greys about town! Matched with a fur hat and sunglasses, this outfit is all fun. Under her coat, she wears a more versatile grey tweed herringbone dress. Holly’s extra accessories are simplistic to suit the busy outfit, a black chain-strap purse and simple pearl earrings.


This was a fun outfit to re-create! I matched a yellow/mustard high-neck, long sleeved coat with a grey dress, similar to the film (a little different), and found the closest colour heels, to the coat, to match. As it's a striking colour, I decided that a fur accessory would be just too much, so I opted for a quilted black chain purse and sunglasses (which look very Audrey Hepburn, in my opinion). This outfit can look very casual, but has the  potential to be very dressy. I often underestimate the power of mustard!

Cowl-Neck Sweater

One of Holly’s more casual outfits, here she is knitting in an apartment, and then out for a cigarette break with Paul.


In a cropped, cowl-neck beige sweater and black skinny pants, her look is fashionably simple (great for horrible weather). She wears loafers, and it looks like Holly is only accessorizing with the black chain-strap purse she had previously.


My last Audrey reproduction (possibly), how bittersweet! I've been the most consistent with this outfit, as it is the simplest. I've combined a short-sleeved cowl-neck sweater with some very dark navy jeans (for a modern touch). To simply accessorize, a vintage Chanel navy chain purse and grey loafers are used. This looks like an awfully comfortable outfit, great for watching a few movies in, or doing your hair up and getting out of the house.


Fun Fact: Hubert de Givenchy dressed Audrey for not only Breakfast at Tiffany’s, but also Sabrina and Funny Face! You know what this means, that we have to see a post on his work.

I really hope you enjoyed this series. I've had a ball writing it, and there will be more where this came from! Please come again for more fashion posts, the next post is my Christmas edition! Come enjoy the holiday season in retro-chic style with me.
Love Claire, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every blogger, every reader and all feedback.
I will happily answer all questions that you many have.
Have a nice day!